[TenTec] Yaesu comparison

Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP Rick at DJ0IP.de
Fri Feb 1 18:15:04 EST 2013

Rob Sherwood and the ARRL have had a long standing dispute (for about 3
years now) on how to best measure receiver performance of a transceiver.
During those three years, I have fully supported Rob's standpoint.
HOWEVER, recently, once again, the ARRL changed their methodology for
measuring receivers.
INMO THIS TIME THE ARRL HAS ADDED VALUE.

For the first time EVER, they have discriminated between the needs of a dxer
and a contester.
In most respects they are the same but there are actually subtle
differences.
In fact the best radio for a contester may very well not be the best radio
for a dxer.
Then what?

It would behoove everyone here to read the ARRL's explanation about why they
changed their methodology, and THEN look at stuff like this comparison.  In
fact, IMO, this comparison was worthless.  PERIOD.
It was fun to watch and we Ten-Tec Kool Aid drinkers (me included) enjoyed
it, but it's a farce.

I WOULD WARN  *EVERYONE*  HERE NOT TO PLACE TOO MUCH WEIGHT ON BENCHMARKS OR
TEST RESULTS.
Not from Rob and not from ARRL.  Yes, both are valuable but you have to use
their results as just one of many factors in evalutatin what radio is the
best for you.

We have our radios for our fun and enjoyment.  That is the main reason.
None of these test do anything to reflect any measurement of fun and
enjoyment.  The fanatics among us (again, me included) who want to do
extreme ham radio (be it contesting, or dxing), place more demanding
requirements on our radios and are willing to overlook many things which
contribute to the overall joy of owning an operating a radio.  As such, "my
radio" may very well not be the best radio for you.

We can sum this all up with what all of us already know:  "Take everything
you read here with a big grain of salt."

73
Rick, DJ0IP