[TenTec] Omni VI+

Richards jruing at ameritech.net
Tue Feb 5 02:41:44 EST 2013

On 2/4/2013 5:20 PM, Clayton Brantley wrote:
> That's why you guys should lock out ebay!  I'll never look there or list there for anything

_____________________________________

Amen, bruddah.

Nevertheless, collect and sell fountain pens as another hobby, and I
know of no larger worldwide marketplace where I can easily offer bits of
my collection to such a large audience... so eBay and PayPal fees are
merely the cost of doing business and is simply factored into cost of
goods sold.    Similarly, Hams typically pay $5 to $10 for a table, and
another $5 or $6 to attend,  a local hamfest or swap meet... so I guess
every market has its cost of admission.

By tradition and social convention, hams are expected to treat each
other with courtesy as if we are members of a friendly, honorable,
worldwide fraternity - and in this I have rarely been disappointed.  The
cooperation and assistance shown in this group certainly proves the rule.

In contrast, on eBay, I see all sorts of low characters.  I recently
sold an fairly expensive, collector quality pen from my collection - but
the buyer raised objections to its condition, claiming I overcharged him
(as if that is possible in an AUCTION sale...)  because there is
evidence of ink in the feed and converter --  er... duh...
notwithstanding the fact I advertised it as USED, having been inked and
tested, with signs of handling, as part of a larger collection!

Rather than argue with him, I merely asked what would make him happy -
and he said a $4 discount/partial refund  (i.e., less than 6% of the
purchase price) would make him a very happy customer - or else he might
leave bad feedback and attempt to revoke the transaction.     Er...
um...  Can you say...  "extortion?"

In contrast, I have sold a pile of gear on QRZ.com and have never had a
bad experience - so with regard to ham gear, that is my preferred
marketplace.  Consistent with the above-described ham tradition, I have
never encountered the sort of quasi criminal behavior at a hamfest or on
QRZ.com  that one often finds on eBay.

So, yeah, with regards to selling ham gear... I avoid eBay and its
exorbitant fees.

Thanks for your indulgence... I guess I am still sorta steaming over it.