[TenTec] ATU Performance & Results

Richards jruing at ameritech.net
Sun Feb 10 00:46:48 EST 2013

On 2/8/2013 3:34 PM, Dave wrote:
> Bob,
this discussion fails to address the question of antenna
efficiency and relative field strength of the radiated signal.
Coaxial cable is extremely lossy when the SWR  ....is
above 3:1.  Thus, it will not be delivering significant power
to the antenna on non-resonant frequencies.

____________________________________

	I agree that there is respectively more loss
	the higher SWR is ... but I am uneasy with
	the notion you will lose all your signal power
	with a mere 3:1 or even a 6:1 SWR.  The figures
	I have seen, are are no where near that high.

	Can you quantify the actual loss in coax from,
	say a 5:1 SWR over a typical run of, say,
	80 feet of coax feed line?

	I have see various numbers on 43 foot monopole
	non-resonant antennas, and the loss is just not
	that high -- not that I dispute there is a significant
	loss - but not a drastic as you imply.

	Thus, I wonder if you could quantify the
	actual loss you think is involved.

	Not picking a fight... I am serious in that I
	don't believe the loss is as large as you suggest.
	But I am open to proof I am mistaken.