[TenTec] Microphones

Bill Ogden ogden at us.ibm.com
Sun Feb 10 18:44:56 EST 2013

I work very little SSB. Until recently I used an old Electrovoice 638
(Hi-Z dynamic) microphone.  (Originally with the Heathkit twins; it is
that old.) Not long ago someone reported I had rather bad audio, although
it sounds OK on my Orion I monitor function.  I switched to a little TT
hand mic that came with my Corsair I (also quite a few years ago).

Question: is the EV 638 a reasonable mic for the Orion I?  Where can I
obtain a new cartridge for it?  And, last question, how do I get into it
to change the cartridge. It is not obvious how to really take it apart.

Bill
W2WO