[TenTec] [Bulk] Re: Rohn 25G; hinged bases

Tue Feb 12 21:11:41 EST 2013

While I do use about 1 cu/yd of concrete for the base, I always set stubs in
the concrete, allowing them to stand about 6" to 8" above the concrete.  The
stubs are 1" dia cold roll steel bar with a J turned on the end in the
concrete.  The concrete is finished 4" to 6" above grade with a crown to
shed water, ice and snow.  The tower stacks over the stubs and is attached
by the 2 per leg bolts.  This arrangement assures that water will not build
up in the legs.    When I get ready to remove the tower, unbolt it and haul
it away.  No leaving of the expensive tower section in the concrete.

I had a personal friend killed as a result of a guyed tower falling while he
was on it.    Towers are nothing to be conservative about when erecting time
comes.  Even of more concern when removing them as weather causes
deterioration of supports and guy hardware.

I don't care what luck one has had with their tower nor for how long.   If
it is not installed and maintained correctly........it is dangerous.

73
Bob, K4TAX