[TenTec] LAST WORD ON ORLANDO HAMFEST

Steve Berg wa9jml at frontier.com
Sun Feb 17 20:24:02 EST 2013

I have not gone to a hamfest in years.  I have never been to Dayton, but
that is something to consider if I ever retire.  And, I don't worry too
much about magazine advertising.

But, on a much happier note, I got my Argonaut VI on Friday afternoon,
have figured out how to sort of use it, and have made some contacts with
it on 30 and 17 Meter CW.  I have mine set up with the 6 KHz, 2.7 KHz,
and 700 HZ filters.  My intention is to use it with my Elecraft 6 and 2
meter transverters.  But, to figure out how to use it, I am
experimenting with it on HF.  So far, I am impressed.  The receiver is
extremely impressive.  While tuning around on the non-WARC bands during
the ARRL contest, I found that with the 100 Hz bandwidth setting, it was
possible to separate most signals in the pileups.  It is better than my
Corsair II in this regard.  I have gotten decent signal reports with my
trap vertical and 70+ radials in a far from optimal location.  I am
still on the steep part of the learning curve, but from what I see so
far, this is one incredible little radio.  The engineers and the
production folks ought to be extremely proud of this product.

It was well worth the wait.  I called the second day they were
available, and managed to get one from the second production run.

73,

Steve WA9JML