[TenTec] OT: Openwire Balanced Antenna Tuners (QST Test)

Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP Rick at DJ0IP.de
Mon Feb 18 01:39:07 EST 2013

Bob, your idea is very sound.  But..not always possible.

It's one thing when we are talking about a monoband antenna, but it's quite
another when we speak of one antenna for working 7 bands.
Balance Tuners are designed exclusively for openwire, and we use openwire
with multi-band antennas, not usually with monoband antennas.

You have to keep these topics separate, or specify which one you are
referring to before you make any statement.
Otherwise your statement is sometimes right and sometimes wrong.

IMO, anyone who is using a tuner with a monoband antenna should have his
head examined!  ;-)

However, anyone using a dipole, fed in the middle with openwire, and using
it on 7 bands with the help of a tuner has got himself a good all-band
setup.  Most of us cannot put up 7 different antennas.

In my case, my landlord allows me ONE antenna.  And I'm a contester.  I need
160/80/40/20/15/10m.
I don't need the WARC bands, but of course they are nice to have.

So I built ONE antenna, an 80m OCF dipole, adjusted the antenna and it works
80/40/30/20/15/12/10m.  Not 17m.
I do not use a tuner on any of these bands, except for the high end of 80m
(which is normal).
BUT occasionally I will use the tuner to match 17m and running 100w (no amp
- don't want to fry the balun), I can work pretty much everything I hear.
THERE IS NOTHING I CAN DO TO MY ANTENNA TO GET 17m WITHOUT LOSING OTHER
BANDS!

In my opinion, that is exactly how you use a tuner - WHERE YOU ABSOLUTELY
MUST.

ANTENNA TUNERS ARE LIKE GOING TO THE DENTIST...
Nobody wants to go there, but if you have to, you're really glad they are
there.

BTW, for 160m I put up a second antenna, well hidden in the woods.  It's
about 100 yards from the house and the landlord can't see it.  He watched me
put it up, but as long as he can't see it, he has nothing against it.  It is
matched at its base and I don't use a tuner with it.

73
Rick