[TenTec] OT: Openwire Balanced Antenna Tuners (QST Test)

Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP Rick at DJ0IP.de
Tue Feb 19 00:22:20 EST 2013

Jim,

Is that really comparing apples to apples?

In the case of the bandpass filter, you have a (hopefully) 50 Ohm signal
passing through the coil.
Considering that the bandpass filter is inserted in between the TX and
Linear, we are talking 60 to 100w power passing through these.

In the case of the balanced matchbox used for matching antennas anywhere
from 10 Ohms to 2000 Ohms at power levels up to 1.5 kW, with all kinds of
reactance, it seems to me that any toroid might have more problems with
heating than a hefty air (core/cooled) coil.

At low power levels of 100w or less and near 50 Ohms all the time, I'm sure
you are perfectly correct but in a high powered matchbox I fear for the
toroid.  In practice, using commercial toroid baluns between an asymmetrical
matchbox and an openwire fed dipole in contests, I have burned up several
baluns which were rated 2.5 kW, and I have never run more than the legal
limit here (750w).  That's why I stopped doing that about 10 years ago.
Inside the balun I often found everything melted.

Using big link coupled matchboxes such as the J.V. Kilowatt or the Big
Annecke Symmetrical Koppler, I have never had the least bit of problems and
just for kicks, I even opened the matchboxes after some hours of operation
and felt the coils to see how hot they were getting.  They ware warm, not
hot.  But both of these have BIG coils.

Like Bob, I prefer air-wound coils in my matchbox.
However one must be aware that there are cheap aircore coil with simple
plastic insulation and there are better coils with a special poly-carbonate
insulation which handles heat a lot better.  You must choose the right ones.
The cheap plastic ones tend to deform when they get warm.  The cheap
matchboxes I've seen, all use the cheap plastic coils.

73
Rick, DJ0IP