[TenTec] Hamfests in general

Jim Brown k9yc at audiosystemsgroup.com
Tue Feb 19 12:27:17 EST 2013

On 2/18/2013 11:02 PM, Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP wrote:
> Jim, what you noticed is exactly what smart companies are doing.
> Instead of going to expensive hamfests,

The problem with that approach is that many (most?) hams want to SEE and
TOUCH a radio before spending a big chunk of our hard earned savings on
it. If the manufacturer does not sell through dealers with brick and
mortar stores, a potential customer can only see and touch the radio at
a hamfest or in his buddy's shack. That limits choices for most hams,
and it yields the market to the companies with the greatest number of
users and the biggest advertising budgets. Ten Tec is at a huge
disadvantage by both of those measures.

Many hams also want some personal relationship with the manufacturer.
That CAN be accomplished online, and another US mfr who only sells
direct in North America, Elecraft, has done a spectacularly good job of
online contact with their customers -- they run rings around Ten Tec in
that regard. They also go to hamfests.

73, Jim K9YC