[TenTec] (no subject)

Robert Mcgraw rmcgraw at blomand.net
Tue Feb 19 12:38:08 EST 2013

I seem to believe the "negative thoughts of using switchers" came from
early days when we salvaged switchers from DOA computers and adapted them
to 12V ham service.

Today, most companies make stand-a-lone switchers realizing they must
conform to both EMI/radiated and conducted radiation specifications, but
must pass "ham screening" as well.  Today most new commercial
communication equipment uses switching power supplies in the interest of
higher efficiency, reduced weight, smaller space required, automatic line
voltage selection, and reduced heat, just among a few specs.

Recent published test results by organizations such as ARRL and RSGB have
good data sources on switchers suitable for ham application.    Even with
that said, improper application by the user can cause issues.  Nothing
new here either.

73
Bob, K4TAX