[TenTec] Hamfests in general

Richards jruing at ameritech.net
Wed Feb 20 01:49:53 EST 2013

On 2/19/2013 12:27 PM, Jim Brown wrote:

> The problem with that approach is that many (most?) hams want to SEE and
> TOUCH a radio before spending a big chunk of our hard earned savings on
> it.

	Like anybody else gives us a 30 day in-home,
	hands on,  road test ?

	Most hams will spend $50 in gasoline, $30 in
	meals to attend a small hamfest out of town,
	but they won't spend any money at all to
	road test a radio in their home for 30 days.

> Many hams also want some personal relationship with the manufacturer.

	Not really.   What most hams want is a radio
	that works - and if it works, they don't need any
	contact or relationship with the manufacturer at all.

	I don't want a personal relationship with my car
	dealer, either.   I want a car that works, and I want
	no further contact with the dealer whatsoever.

	Heck... who needs a relationship if the gear works
	as it should ?   One only needs a relationship if
	he wants or needs something.

> That CAN be accomplished online, and another US mfr who only sells
> direct in North America, Elecraft, has done a spectacularly good job of
> online contact with their customers -- they run rings around Ten Tec in
> that regard. They also go to hamfests.

	I am sick to death of hearing how wonderful
	the other guys are.

	I got horrible treatment from Elecraft in
	emails and on the phone.   I got nothing
	but good vibes and top drawer shelf service
	dealing with TenTec.

	Maybe Elecraft NEEDS to stroke THEIR customers
	more than TT does.   Maybe Elecraft buyers
	require more stroking than TT buyers.

	All the talk about their service after the sale
	is a double edged sword.

	The fact they issued so many, and so frequent,
	firmware updates to the K-3 early tells me the
	radio was not ready for prime time when it was
	first released.   My Omni VII has had very few
	updates and has always worked as expected -
	it has not needed a mess of updates.

	Frankly, I am tired of the Us vs Them flame
	wars.

	Bottom line is... they are two different companies,
	with two different business models.    If you like one,
	then you should buy its stuff... if you like the other...
	then buy its stuff.   But I grow weary of all these
	pointless "my-dad-can-beat-up-you-dad" kind of
	comparisons.

	We really should limit ourselves to discussing
	the rigs, and to comparing features and performance
	only - and stay away from discussions about the
	various companies and what we guess or speculate
	to be their business plans.

That is just MY take.