[TenTec] OT: Openwire Balanced Antenna Tuners (QST Test)

Steve Hunt steve at karinya.net
Thu Feb 21 13:17:56 EST 2013

I was responding specifically to the comment from K4TAX:

"I'll take an air-wound inductor over a toroidal inductor any day, space
available.  The typical loss in an air-wound inductor is IR loss where a
toroidal has IR loss plus eddy current loss."

I didn't read that comment as applying specifically to balanced tuner
operation.

If you are asking what is my preference in tuners for twin feedline, it
would be an unbalanced L-match with a good 1:1 balun at the output. If
that L-match needed to be automated and use fixed value inductors, I'd
happily take iron-powder-cored inductors in place or air-cored inductors.

73,
Steve G3TXQ