[TenTec] low power 509 Argonaut

Jack Van Demark wn5a at sbcglobal.net
Tue Feb 26 16:54:16 EST 2013

Phil
I would believe it could be the contacts if you had at least one bad putting out
about 3-4 watts.

I bet one of your final transistors is bad.  I had the same thing with a 509
that I bought at hamfest.  Very low power out on all bands. I pulled the
transistors on the PA board, checked and sure enough one was bad. Replaced them
with a matched pair and it was like new again.
They are pretty awesome when they are working. You may need to do some
scrounging for replacement transitors. but they can be had. The TenTec originals
are long since out of production.
73  and Good Luck.
Jack WN5A