[TenTec] Antw: COMMUNICATIONS SPEAKERS Article

M. WIJK pa5mw at home.nl
Wed Feb 27 02:51:00 EST 2013

Hi Alan,

I learned that it is important to use any speaker with a low mechanical threshold.
At very low sound volumes, and those are typical for our nearby in shack operation, many speakers have a difficulty providing the soundstage performance as electrically supplied.
They need a minimal input sound energy volume to perform. This is known in the Hi-Fi world as "mechanical threshold" and the "sound not coming loose from the speaker(cabinet)". Although I try to be careful with some of those statements which cannot be supported with scientific evidence and usually rely on peoples individual listening experience.
I worked with NAD electronics for some 11 years and they supply the Danish loudspeaker brand Dali. They have Vifa drivers in them and I was told that Vifa carefully designed driver units 'which would deliver full sound stage performance at a lower input sound volume'. Something to do with challenging the mechanical threshold by carefully designing all moving parts at minimum weight etc..you get the point.
Most low or mid drivers i Hi-Fi systems nowadays, are designed for high power handling and delivering high sound pressure levels. Their mechanical design is tuned to that performance.
That is not what we would want in our shack were the actual spl is relatively low.

My experience is that any 6 to 8 inch lightweight  driver with a small magnet on the back works fb. Any old fullrange version with a double cone works fb too.

Btw I recently wrote an article on the right headphone in your shack: http://pa5mw.blogspot.nl/2013/02/wsa-160m-1.html

73 Mark, PA5MW