[TenTec] COMMUNICATIONS SPEAKERS Article

Duane Calvin ac5aa1 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 09:09:15 EST 2013

This is a decades-long ongoing debate which began with radios that had no
ability to shape the speaker/headphone audio.  Using "hi-fi"
headphones/speakers, indeed, provide accurate reproduction of everything the
radio outputs including high-pitched heterodynes, off-frequency splatter,
etc., etc. which could be reduced significantly by a sound reproduction
device which rolled off the high frequencies.  Usually that was spec'ed with
a bandwidth like 300 - 3000 Hz, but it varied.  On a clear frequency with no
QRM/QRN/Lids, give me the wide open response.  Otherwise, I'd like to tailor
the audio some, whether it's using the receiver's audio controls, or, if
they're not available, then a communications speaker or headset.  So, it all
depends on (1) your equipment's capability, (2) your intended use, and (3)
your personal preferences.  I don't understand the shouting here on a single
"correct" answer.  I'll take a set of headphones with cotton stuffed in
them, please!  :-)

	73, Duane

Duane Calvin, AC5AA
Austin, Texas