[TenTec] WTB: Older Jupiter

Cecil chacuff at cableone.net
Fri Jan 18 14:13:54 EST 2013

Sent from my iPad

On Jan 17, 2013, at 12:33 PM, Darrell Bellerive <drbellerive.va7to at gmail.com> wrote:

..........cut...........

> Or perhaps quantum leaps backwards? Anyone find their Omni VII or Eagle to sound EXACTLY like a Drake 2-B, or Collins S-Line, or Ten-Tec Triton?
>
> 73, Darrell VA7TO

You will be hard pressed to pull that off with anybody's DSP rig.....just as you won't find an MP3 player made that will sound like a direct to disk vinyl recording on a nice direct drive turntable with a decent moving magnet cartridge played through a restored tube amp.   That said neither the Drake nor the S line will do well on today's bands during a contest or in a huge split frequency DX pileup.

Want top notch weak signal receivers with the DSP tools necessary to help fight the tight bands with usable audio...pick up a rig with modern 32 bit DSP technology and use it sparingly.  ( I think the Jupiters is 16 bit so it will have limited dynamic range) Dialing in too much DSP processing will result in the artifacts you mention on anybody's implementation.

Cecil
K5DL