[TenTec] Orion II has ended production

Michael Cheponis Michael at Cheponis.Com
Mon Jul 1 02:33:21 EDT 2013

The question I have is:

Can you make a $1K radio that is, say,  90% of a $10K radio's performance?

Those that demand the "very best" are willing to pay for it; the
performance-vs-dollars curve is not linear.

With today's superior tech, it would seem at least possible to build a
market-successful radio at the $1K price point with "pretty darn good"
performance -- let's say "KWM-2" level.

The ARRL has had at least a couple of homebrew contests where they kept the
total parts cost fixed, and the contestants had to design and build to the
spec as best they could; seeing what they accomplished makes me believe the
"$1K modern KWM-2" is probably possible.

-Mike  K3MC / 6