[TenTec] Tx IMD and Purity

Kimberly Elmore cw_de_n5op at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jul 1 13:14:48 EDT 2013

Rick, you make an excellent point! Are you speaking of only IMD performance? If so, how good is good enough? Speaking only of 3rd order (O3) IMD, my old TS-930S has O3 IMD of -35 dB while my Orion II has a worse value of -28 dB. The best available may be the FT-2000D running class A, with O3 IMD below -41 dB (the QST article noted that this was as low as the  ARRL could measure). At -30 dB, the transmitted power of the O3 IMD with 100 W PEP is 0.1 W PEP. If I add a (perfect) amp with ~12 dB of gain, I'll see 1.5 W PEP of transmitted O3 IMD. If we were to set a target for transmit IMD numbers, what do you think it should be? Is there something the manufacturers can do to meet these goals aside from running everything class A? Should everything run off of a 28 V or 56 V supply or...?

I'm sincere in my question because I don't know enough about PA design to know if the manufacturers are cutting corners that make otherwise efficient transmitters dirtier than they need to be.

73,

Kim N5OP