[TenTec] Orion 2 situation

Richards jrichards at k8jhr.com
Mon Jul 1 23:48:58 EDT 2013

	Sheesh,  call the Waaahhm-bulance.

On 6/30/2013 7:49 PM, Mike Stricker wrote:

If Ten Tec can't get parts to produce radios, what would make us believe
that they will be able to repair these radios in the future?

	There is no reason to expect anything at all.

	All one can expect is for TenTec to do its
	best, and hope for the best.   I doubt it gets
	any better from any other manufacturer.

> I suspected this was going to happen ...

	No revelation here... I presume this will
	happen 	to every radio made by every
	manufacture, eventually.

more fortunate to have sold it and gotten out of it unscathed.

	I cannot fathom what this means.

	Are you saying they will now all break now that
	they no longer make new ones?

	How would you have been injured if you still
	owned one.  Am I going to be injured or wronged
	when TT ceases supporting the Omni VII ?  Like
	every radio is intended to work and be supported
	forever?

The other 2 American manufacturers aren't much different or better.

	Nobody is.

Flex-Radio recently announced that they would not be
producing/supporting the 5000 and when the Elecraft K3 was announced, no
further firmware updates to the K2 were made

	Why do we expect radio manufacturers to
	maintain and further develop older rigs,
	indefinitely, or to support and develop
	them forever ?

  I'm afraid that the reality is that we are all beta testers while we
own the radio.

	Do you feel that way about cars?  Do you expect
	car manufacturers to continue to develop last
	year's model indefinitely?  Are manufacturers
	not allowed to move on and develop new products?

  Just when we think they are solid, the manufacturer terminates
production/support.

	Like every other industry... I suspect.

	But, this is  false statement - TT says it
	WILL continue support into the future, and
	there is no indication otherwise.  You have
	overstated the case.

We often rely on their promises and are let down.

	You should buy a Collins radio.  According the
	so many older hams, Collins radios are the best
	ever made, and I am sure the Collins company
	continues to support its radios yet today . . .

Just MY take.

	I DON'T UNDERSTAND ALL THIS WHINING AND
	GNASHING OF TEETH OVER THIS - THIS MIGHT
	SIGNAL THE DAWN OF A NEW ERA AND HEIGHTENED
	PROFITABILITY AT TT HQ.  WHY ARE SO MANY
	OF US PREDICTING DOOM GLOOM ???