[TenTec] Orion 2

Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP Rick at DJ0IP.de
Fri Jul 5 05:02:11 EDT 2013

73
Rick, DJ0IP

-----Original Message-----
From: TenTec [mailto:tentec-bounces at contesting.com] On Behalf Of Barry N1EU
Sent: Friday, July 05, 2013 10:48 AM
To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion 2

On Thu, Jul 4, 2013 at 9:25 PM, Bruce McLaughlin <bmclaugh at bex.net> wrote:

> What does upset me is that some companies appear to obsolete equipment
> for primarily marketing purposes.

But isn't a manufacturer free to start/end manufacturing of a product
whenever they want, for whatever reason they want?  Isn't that the "free"
in "free enterprise"?

> On Fri, Jul 5, 2013 at 1:24 AM, <georgefritkin at yahoo.com> wrote:
> The demise of the ORION 2 is the classic case of shooting oneself in
> the foot.  After being on the market for many years, the O2
> performance is still top of the heap.  With refreshing and ergonomic
> changes many more years could be had.  Yes, parts could be an issue,
> but even that can be overcome.  Does the ham market use another 5/6K
radio? I would argue yes.

Doesn't Ten-Tec know THEIR business better than we can guess their business?
Perhaps the market could use another 5/6K radio, as long as it had a
significant advantage over the K3.  But, to throw out just one idea (and I
have no idea what Ten-Tec is planning - I'm sure they're planning
something), perhaps the market would be much better served by a newly spec'd
radio with a lower initial entry price (and a few hot new features), to
reach many more hams, yet still expandable to that high end 5/6K radio?

73, Barry N1EU