[TenTec] Tuner

Wade Staggs tvman1954 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 9 03:11:01 EDT 2013

Walt,
         My present antenna is a Flat Top at 134 feet. 67 feet on each leg.
The 450 Ohm Ladder/Window Line is 78 feet long and comes to just outside my
window. Then using a 1:1 Current Balun into a short piece of RG-8 to get
through the window. The antenna/dipole is only up about 30 feet and I Love
It !! This setup tunes well on all bands and I have made lots of contacts
with it since 1981. My SB-200 Heathkit likes it on all bands except 15
meters. On 15 meters the Tuner or the Amp have been known to Spark and Arc
a little when driven hard. On 80 - 10 meters at 100 Watts ..... all is
great. I have also used my SB-220 on this setup but can't get too wild with
the power because of the rating on the Balun. Seems like every time  the
power gets really cranking on 20 or 15 meters, it is soon time to rewind
the core of that sadly abused Balun again. My heart tells me that a better
Balun or running the line directly to the back of the MFJ-989C Legal Limit
Tuner would fix the problem but, guess I am just to lazy to fix it until it
breaks. Surprisingly the darned thing will tune up 6 meters also. The 134
feet was used because that is where 3500 KHz. came out to on my calculator.
We live in an Apartment so this is the best choice for me until my Rich
Uncle gets out of the Poor House.
                                                                 73 to all
de Wade/KJ4WS