[TenTec] Orion 2 Situation

chacuff at cableone.net chacuff at cableone.net
Wed Jul 10 15:08:12 EDT 2013

There are many integrated circuits from that era (20 to 30 years back) that are just not available any more...at any price.  I have found that it’s easier to get tubes for radio’s that are 50 years old than some of the early IC’s.

It’s entirely reasonable that some things from that era are not repairable due to the quick changes in the development of the technology at the time.  I’m sure that 5 years after the discontinuation of the Delta II there were parts available to perform the repairs...but probably not many beyond that.

10 years from now some things for the Orion series will probably not be available..and if your radio looses that part it’s going to be a dead box.  That is no different for any of the manufacturers.  I can’t get RX preamp transistors for my Yaesu FT-920...so it sits on the shelf.  It’s probably younger than the Delta II.

Disappointing but a fact of life.

Cecil Acuff
Gulfport MS
K5DL