[TenTec] OT; Horizontal Loop Antennas

Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP Rick at DJ0IP.de
Thu Jul 11 15:58:19 EDT 2013

Well since we are into stories, you'll like this one.

In 1986 I installed the loop at my new club's field day site (4th new club
where I did that), using a tree near our shack, which was in the back of a
beer-delivery truck - hey, this was in Bavaria.  The other 3 corners were
supported by 10m high poles.

Near the end of the field day contest, EXACTLY 2 minutes before contest end,
the pole opposite the feedpoint fell down.  About 30 seconds later the two
side poles both fell down, leaving the antenna laying on the ground, except
for the corner nearest the shack.  So we went QRT 1 minute before contest
end.

The boys thought I needed to patent this one.  The world's first antenna
that takes itself down at the end of the contest.  Of course more work was
needed on the timing.   We could have made 1 or 2 more contacts if it had
delayed one more minute.

You can't imagine how we laughed about that for many field days to follow.
Unfortunately the following year the field day rules changed and we never
used the loop again.

73
Rick, DJ0IP