[TenTec] OCF

leen3lpj leen3lpj at nep.net
Thu Jul 11 20:00:05 EDT 2013

    Back around 96 I was using an ocf half-wave fed with 450 ladder-line at 105 ft for 160 mtrs . One night I got on and there was a station from the yukon and everyone in the group was taking turns working him . When it came my turn it took forever to make the contact . It wasn't that far , i thought it should have been alot easier . I took down the ocf and read alot of antenna books and put up an inverted-l .
    There is no turning back I love my inverted-l . I never used to do contesting but I started getting in the 160 mtr contest just to see how I could do and the results were great .
    I'm still using that same antenna . During the jan. cw contest on 160 I made contact with Hawaii in a small pile-up on the second call . Not bad for 100 watts and my orion .
    Going vertical for me was the way to go on 160 . The ocf worked good but I couldn't get it up high enough to be effective on the lower bands .
                                                                       Lee     N3LPJ