[TenTec] which balun?

Richards jrichards at k8jhr.com
Sat Jul 27 22:13:40 EDT 2013

On 7/27/2013 7:43 PM, Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP wrote:

> Both transformers have their windings wound over the pair of stacked
> toroids.  This is bad....It only works as a 4:1 transformer,

> A better 4:1 balun is the Balun Designs 4115ocf.
> View the picture of the insides of this Balun and see how the cores are
> wrapped differently from the 4125.
> In this case, each transformer has its own dedicated core, independent of
> the other.  THIS ONE WORKS.

	Given the problems winding everything on
	a single core - and recognizing using two
	toroids as a single core is STILL USING
	just ONE CORE...

	Would one be be better off having two separate
	devices,  i.e., one to act as a 4:1 impedance
	transformer and another to act as a common
	mode choke?

	If so, might we go one step further and suggest
	it is better to just wind them separately and
	maybe even put a little space between them to
	minimize stray capacitance, inductance, etc?
	Maybe put them in different NEMA boxes, even?

	It seems that would give each device more "room"
	to do its separate job independently of the other
	one.   If that is the case, the only down side
	would be the additional cost of another or a
	larger NEMA box, and maybe a couple extra
	connectors.

Any traction?