[TenTec] which balun?

Richards jrichards at k8jhr.com
Sun Jul 28 15:03:03 EDT 2013

On 7/28/2013 4:35 AM, Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP wrote:
> James,
>
> In your case, where you have the coax to the antenna buried underground, it
> actually already has an effective choke on it.

> The problem when discussing the 43 ft. vertical is, ...There isn't
> going to be a single balun or unun that does both jobs best.

	Agreed.

> The 4:1 is OK for the high bands but a 1:1 would be better for the low
> bands.  Even better is Phil Salas' (AD5X) solution for loading coils at the
> base, then switching them in and out.

	Or... as a quirky antenna guru once suggested...

	ADD MORE WIRE!     ;-)

> Why am I saying the 4:1 is OK here, when I just said in another post it is
> better to always use 1:1?
> Simple, before we were talking about openwire feedline, now we are talking
> about coax feedline.

		Understood.

> I think the biggest problem most people have including me before I started
> reading the right material on this subject, is we want to buy one device
> called "balun" and have it do all jobs, no matter what.   You can't drive
> your 4 kids to the soccer match with a Corvette, but it's sure a nice
> automobile!

	YES!

	I would love to have a different
	balun/transformer/matching network for each band,
	tailored to that band, and have a remote switching
	system for it.  Unfortunately it would probably
	need a large dog house size shelter for house
	it out in the yard.

	Or, maybe a hybrid approach.  I could match 80 m
	and the very high bands in the yard, and match 40m
`	and 20m in the house, as they are easiest to match
	in any case.  The switch mechanism would be the
	complication.

	I gotta say, however, at 33 ft it makes a swell 40m
	ground plane antenna.  I should not mention it here,
	but I often serve as Net Control for the TS-590s
	owner's net on Wednesday evenings and I can hear,
	and be heard by, nearly everyone.  That is gratifying
	as I recall my earliest days when so many hams told
	me to come back when I got a REAL ANTENNA!   That
	was very discouraging but it motivated me to figure
	out what would actually work in my small back yard.