[TenTec] TT 238C will not tune

Al Gulseth wb5jnc at centurytel.net
Sun Jul 28 17:15:53 EDT 2013

(Hope I'm understanding your question right, HI!!)

There is a "budget priced" lower power "clone" (to use the term very loosely!)
of the 238 that might help you understand the concept of how the L network
functions. It is made by another manufacturer located a little ways southwest
of Sevierville in another "S" town: AKA the MFJ 16010T. Here's the manual:

http://www.mfjenterprises.com/pdffiles/MFJ-16010.pdf

The "executive summary" is that an L network is used to transform some low Z
to some higher Z, or vice-versa if the network is reversed. To quote from the
16010 manual:

"The connectors are labeled properly to match a transmitter to a higher
impedance. This is the normal connection.

To match impedances that are lower than your transmitter impedance (such as a
mobile whip), simply interchange the normal transmitter and antenna
connections to the MFJ-16010."

Simply put, when the cap is on the output side the transformation is L>H Z,
and when the cap is on the input it's H>L Z. The 238 series accomplish this
via the BYPASS switch, while the MFJ uses the less expensive and low-tech
method of reversing the connections to the unit.

The direction of current flow is immaterial in this case. And yes, determining
the actual zero inductance setting position would probably be beneficial in
using the unit....

73, Al