[TenTec] QRP vs Big Daddy

Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP Rick at DJ0IP.de
Tue Jul 30 02:23:13 EDT 2013

I think Steve just hit on two of the most important points:
1). There is some kind of thrill in working DX with 5 watts and a piece of
wire (or anything similar)
2)  For reliable communications on one specified frequency, you have to have
power - especially if you are the NCS.

Back in the late 80s, I built a 20m QRP transceiver using the circuit
designed by Rick Littlefield (call sign forgotten).  I completed it, brought
it upstairs (out of my shop in the cellar) and set it on the living room
table.  There was some contest going on that day.  Using its 3w and a
foldable Magnetic Loop antenna sitting inside the living room, I worked
about 20 countries in just one hour.

Working DX with my 750w (max legal pwr here), tower and 8-element Yagi was
not as much fun as working it with everything inside my living room.  There
is no comparison in the DX capabilities of these two different setups, but
there is also no comparison in the fun factor either.  Each one wins one of
these categories.

A picture of the antenna I was using is shown at the bottom of this page:
http://www.dj0ip.de/my-favorite-antennas/old-folks-antenna/

73
Rick, DJ0IP