[TenTec] OT: Openwire/Window Line and Bad Wx

Jim Brown k9yc at audiosystemsgroup.com
Tue Jul 30 03:11:06 EDT 2013

On 7/29/2013 5:48 PM, Steve Berg wrote:
> I managed to work all continents with an Argonaut II, and a 1208
> transverter barefoot into a 4 element Hy-Gain beam at 50 feet.

That is VERY dependent on your QTH.  From near San Francisco, with 4
elements at 120 ft, in six years I've never even HEARD EU, AN, SA, or AF
on 6M, let alone work them.  I do have 6M QSLs from VK, ZL, JA, and FK,
all of which are longer paths than from W4 to EU, SA, or AF.

Back in the late 50s with an historic solar cycle, from WV with 25 watts
we worked ZS in the morning, K6 in the afternoon, followed by KH6 and
JA.  It's STRONGLY dependent on where you are and what the propagation
gods are doing. :)

73, Jim K9YC