[TenTec] OT: Openwire/Window Line and Bad Wx

Tue Jul 30 13:10:22 EDT 2013

Yes, but lightning is not DC.  It is a series of short duration pulses
resembling AC and should be treated accordingly with little to no inductance
in the path.  Thus any inductance in line would actually prevent the energy
from going to ground.

For lightning protection on balanced feed systems, see The Wireman model
#878 as one good example.   Just about every series fed broadcast tower uses
an "arc gap" method for that purpose.  I find that a pair of small engine
non resistive sparkplugs mounted on suitable hardware which is adequately
grounded does an excellent job and with no issues at legal PEP power.

The old knife switch approach is OK........... if one remembers to put the
switch in the proper position when lightning is around or the station goes
QRT.

73
Bob, K4TAX