[TenTec] CW-N versus CW-R

GARY HUBER glhuber at msn.com
Wed Jul 31 20:48:40 EDT 2013

UCW and LCW may be better labels, inferring the receive offset from zero
beat of the carrier. The same thing is happening with CW-N where LSB is used
40 M and down and USB is used 20 M and up. It matters not what side band
others are using. If the radios have been frequency calibrated and TX and RX
are in sync, your 7005.250 kHz carriers (CW) should be on the same frequency
no matter if one is using a 500 Hz tone UCW (CW-R) and the other is using
750 Hz LCW  (CW-N). We used to zero beat to no tone, then set the BFO to the
tone we liked.

My Corsair-II has a spot button that when pushed, removes the BFO offset so
that you can tune to zero beat.  My OMNI-VII has an adjustable side tone and
carrier offset arrangement similar to the OMNI-VI+ but with the option of
using either UCW (USB) or LCW (LSB). I can monitor my OMNI-VII with my
FLEX-1500 in panadapter mode; thus far I have NOT seen any shift in the
OMNI-VII tx frequency when shifting between UCW and LCW.

The important thing to remember is that the frequency/sideband shift occurs
in the receiving circuitry NOT on the transmitted frequency.

73 ES DX,
Gary -- AB9M