[TenTec] dial lights for OMNI D and Model 544 Triton

Wade Staggs tvman1954 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 7 13:19:26 EDT 2013

If, you use a bulb other than Ten Tec Original or an exact replacement.
Beware!!! Look carefully at the current rating of the bulb/s. Looking at
the Omni D Schematic you will see that the voltage to run the pilot bulbs
is taken from the Regulated Supply Voltage. This is the Regulated Supply
for the LMO and other Voltage Sensitive Circuits. It is very easy to
overload this Supply Line with TOO MUCH CURRENT. I was given one of my Omni
D radio's because the guy could not make it stop Dropping about 200 HZ in
Frequency when he keyed the Microphone. It seems that the extra current
drawn when switched to transmit was too much for the little regulator
circuit. After noticing that the Meter Bulb was burning very dark and Dull.
I removed the Meter Lamp and the radio became Rock Solid where Transmit and
Receiver Tracking are concerned. I then got some LED's and Resistors from
the Phone Shack ( Once known as Radio Shack ) ..... With a little bit of
Ham Engineering the radio works Great now and the Meter looks Great also.
On air reports confirmed this problem by talking on the radio with the
Meter Bulb installed and then with it out of the radio. LED's are the way
to go if, you want my advise. No special formula for me Just placed 3 LED
lamps in series and decreased the resistance of a 1k Pot until the
brightness I wanted was achieved. Also, checked to see that the LED's were
not producing any heat. A Cool LED is a Happy LED.....

  73 to all de Wade/KJ4WS