[TenTec] RF Speech Processor

John Rippey w3uls73 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 13 18:51:54 EDT 2013

There is a series of ongoing exchanges on the Yahoo Group for the new
Kenwood TS=990S in which some people say they're finding the average PEP is
not as good as it should be, with or without the speech processor. Rob
Sherwood has opined that this is typical in his experience with DSP rigs,
and says as an aside that he has not found external units that plug into
the mic jack of any value, and that he didn't care for Orion's internal
speech processing among others.

(There is an interesting YouTube video by NA1A, an ESSB guru, in which he
easily breaks into various DX pileups. On the video, "Duke," who is located
in Irvine, CA, claims his success in breaking pileups is due to his
Optibeam antenna. I'm more inclined to think he has squeezed the maximum
speech power out of his audio processing setup which is, needless to say,
very sophisticated.)

In any event, I'm wondering if anyone's had experience using the Ten-Tec
Model 751 in breaking pileups or whatever? Maybe someone's used a scope and
a good watt meter?

John, W3ULS