[TenTec] RF Speech Processor

Richards jrichards at k8jhr.com
Sun Jun 16 00:52:49 EDT 2013

On 6/14/2013 9:55 PM, GARY HUBER wrote:
   If the
> 715 is set correctly and its output gain is near or less than that of
> the microphone only, then the OMNI's DSP processor should not be
> overdriven.

	Yes... but the energy is different. Once you
	smooth it out, I am not sure you can smooth
	it again.

		Here is my theory:

	A compressor sorta folds energy from outside
	the operating frequency spectrum into the
	useable spectrum.  (An admittedly inaccurate
	description, but I am not working on my thesis...)   ;-)

	The net result is that the average amplitude of
	the signal and hence average transmitted power
	ends up stronger than it would be had compression
	not been used.

	My guess is that you cannot "average" it twice.
	Once it is averaged, I figure you cannot do it again.

	It is analogous to running the "normalize" feature
	in an computer audio processor application, which
	is the application of a constant amount of gain to
	an audio recording to bring the average or peak
	amplitude to a target level (the norm).  Because the
	same amount of gain is applied across the given range,
	the signal-to-noise ratio and relative dynamics
	are generally unchanged. Normalization differs
	from dynamic range compression, which applies
	varying levels of gain over a recording to fit
	the level within a minimum and maximum range.

	Now I figure once you have normalized it, you
	cannot really normalize it again.   Similarly,
	once you compress it, you cannot really compress
	it again -  like, ...er... um... ah...  if you
	get a hair cut, then you cannot get another cut
	that same day without ending up with pretty short
	hair...  once you cut it to a new length, you cannot
	cut it again to that same length, and similarly you
	cannot compress the signal twice - once you cut
	the rough edges, it is smoothed out (averaged)
	already.   (Sheesh... I wish I could think of a
	better analogy... but I hope you get my drift...)

	Parenthetically, those Omni VII settings sound
	just about right.

'.