[TenTec] RF Speech Processor "TX IMD"

Sun Jun 16 21:35:23 EDT 2013

There are many of these regulations that are really open to interpretation
by the reader.  What exactly is good amateur practice?   I know how I was
taught and as a broadcast engineer again the term "good engineering
practice" is rather vague and quite broad.  Yet in that regard, my thoughts,
my actions and my direction was frequently questioned and challenged by
those more of my senior.   While I often disgust at specifics, certain
things do need to be defined.  For us pilots there is a clear and stated
minimum vision standard.  The idea of "generally good vision" is quite
frightening.

We had a radio provided at Field Day last year that proved to be a problem.
When it was keyed, every radio a the site got noisy regardless of the band,
mode or frequency it was on.  Yes, my spectrum analyzer confirmed that the
radio of question transmitted broadband noise in the order of -73 dBm
covering the range of 0.5 MHz to 30 MHz.  Yet the radio met the
"certification" to be sold in the USA.  This is basic pollution and add
enough of them on the air and we have lots of pollution.  In other words, if
one auto is polluting the air in Los Angles at rush hour that is not an
issue.  Yet if 300,000 are driving at rush hour and all of them are
polluting, that is a serious issue.

As to the operator issues, with radios being mis-adjusted and mis-used, this
is an education issue and not an enforcement issue.  That simply says that
we have not done a good job of bringing new members into the ranks.  And we
have not done a good job of guiding these new members to higher standards.
There is simply too much of the attitude of "it is my radio, I paid good
money for it, it's mine and I'll use it any way I wish".   I view this is
much the way society thinks and acts today.

We as older, senior, experienced persons have not done a good job with our
students.  If the teacher teaches then the students learn.  If the students
don't learn then the teacher has not taught.

73
Bob, K4TAX