[TenTec] RF Speech Processor "TX IMD"

Sun Jun 16 21:56:32 EDT 2013

A technically clean radio meeting today's technical standards and one that
is adjusted and operated correctly and it being used in front of an amp,
again one that is clean and adjusted properly is absolutely no problem.
There are some import amps on the market that are largely "garbage
generators"  spectrum wise.

My measurements of my radio of the 3rd, 5th and 9th order signals and then
feeding same to my amp, I find that the 3rd, 5th and 9th order signals are
the same value or less in dB below the fundamental output.  I've conducted
two tone tests with both the stand-a-lone radio and then the same with the
amplifier with no issues of concern or any values not consistent with
current technical standards.

Now the key to all of this is very careful operation and adjustment of the
radio and the amp.  Will it get "dirty"?  Sure, just don't tune and load the
amp correctly or overdrive the amp and it gets nasty quick.

I've personally experience some operators that truly do not know how to
correctly tune and load a grounded grid linear amp.  This is specially true
where an operator desires to operate an amp notably below its rated power.
They typically tune or actually de-tune the amp to attain the power they
desired.  This is wrong on all counts.  Correctly, tune the amp for maximum
output while not exceeding the manufactures maximum ratings.   Reduce the
drive to attain the desired power.  Do not re-tune the amp for lower power
values.  After all it is supposed  to operate LINEAR.  For an amp that has
10 dB of gain, 1 watt in will produce 10 watts out, for 10 watts in one
should see 100 watts out, and for 100 watts in one should have 1000 watts.
If this does not happen, the amp is not linear.

73
Bob, K4TAX