[TenTec] RF Speech Processor "TX IMD"

Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP Rick at DJ0IP.de
Tue Jun 18 16:07:09 EDT 2013

Kim, I think the bandpass filter comment was targeted at what I said
earlier.
You mixed up my points.  I said it would not help to have a BPF on the good
transceiver (receiving) but probably would on the bad transceiver
(transmitting), though we did not try it because we just threw the bad ones
out.  Lots of them.

Yes, of course a BPF will help.  The current cost of a set of BPF's for the
classical ham bands (but not the WARC bands) is $800 - more than some of
these transceivers cost.  I maintain the OEMs could fix the cause of the
problem for a lot less than $800.

73
Rick, DJ0IP

-----Original Message-----
From: TenTec [mailto:tentec-bounces at contesting.com] On Behalf Of Kimberly
Elmore
Sent: Tuesday, June 18, 2013 6:27 PM
To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment
Subject: Re: [TenTec] RF Speech Processor "TX IMD"

Yes, indeed: the introduction the PLL lead to wonderful flexibility in
frequency coverage and generation along with mounds of phase noise. The
phase noise has been largely corralled, but not IMD. I wonder: what IMD
level is good enough? Something around -40 dB seems considered insufficient.
Would -50 dB do it? -60 dB? What things affect the linearity and transfer
function of a PA? Can IMD be "designed out" of a PA, or is it fundamentally
caused by the transfer function inherent in the active, amplifying device
(transistor or tube) itself? I honestly don't know.

Oh, and when I heard K0RF's phase noise, I was about 10 mi from him :)

I will take issue with one aspect, though: band pass filters on the output
of a transmitter can most certainly attenuate phase noise, or any other
emitted RF, that falls outside the filter's pass band. Phase noise is
Gaussian (white) in nature and we can turn white noise into anything we want
with proper filtering. There's nothing special about phase noise or
nth-order IMD products in this regard: band pass filters pass only what's in
the pass band (the ultimately tautology!). The pass band may be, say, the
entire 20 m band plus a bit for safety, but a good filter will stop anything
outside of the pass band. So, a transmitter with a good band pass filter on
it won;t much affect any other band but 20 m.

I'll take my '930S out again this year and double check its noise generation
as I know darn good and well that it makes some. I'll even try it on 'phone
to see how much trash it makes because I really don't have any idea right
now. No, I don't don't own the proper equipment, such as a spectrum
analyzer, to allow me to measure it. I suppose that makes me an inadequate
ham in some eyes (hangs head in shame).

Kim N5OP