[TenTec] ORION ll

Richards jrichards at k8jhr.com
Fri Jun 21 01:55:59 EDT 2013

On 6/20/2013 10:32 PM, Bob Gibson wrote:

> Hi Fellows. I have a new Orionll and I just cannot get the audio right...

I'm using a Behringer B-1 Mic and a VX2000...

	My thoughts parallel what the others are
	saying, and I wonder, just early one, are
	you playing the B-1 and Behringer processor
	through the Orion II microphone input?   That
	is one sure fire way to overdrive the mic input
	and that often yields comments about having RF
	on the microphone.

	On the Sunday afternoon TT equipment, Lloyd said
	I had RF on my mi input, but it was only that I
	had forgotten to change the mic input setting
	after changing headsets from one with relatively
	low output to one with rather high output.
	Adjusting the mic input yielded sufficient
	correction to receive compliments on my audio from
	Lloyd just a few minutes later.  Once I tamed the
	mic input gain, I used stock default settings and
	those always net me compliments on my transmit audio.

	Similarly, for the Orion II - on Field Day the guys
	borrowed an Orion II and were getting complaints
	and snide remarks about their audio - until I
	showed the guys how to reset the entire radio
	to factory defaults (der...I just showed them the
	blip on it in the user manual...)

	I also have a B-1 microphone, and as Bob suggests,
	that type of large diaphragm studio microphone
	is often very sensitive, and as another ham once
	put it, they  "pick up the sound of a gnat's sneeze
	from across the	room" - meaning, of course, they
	pick up every sound in the room, including the
	sound of cooling fans, and are much harder to
	effectively close-talk than other types.
	When "close-talking" the microphone, the rig
	tends to pick up the sound of your voice, but
	not so much ambient noise in the shack.

	Heck, even Bob Heil, recommends using a hand-held
	performance type dynamic dynamic microphone
	cartridge for this same reason.

	Moreover, I worry the VR-2000 processor may
	be over driving the audio input channel -
	perhaps the settings that worked for your
	previous rig are too aggressive and too HOT
	for the new one.  I presume you are using the
	Line-In audio input channel on the rig, and
	if not, that is a sure fire way to over drive
	the mic input channel.  (Although I presume
	you know this... so I mention it just to be
	sure.)

	I am convinced one can obtain really good
	transmit audio without external audio accessories.
	You can prove this by listening the many guys
	checking into the TT equipment owner's net on
	Sunday after noon who use regular, plain Jane
	microphones and stock audio settings on the
	rig, alone.

	Consequently, I agree you should remove the
	VR-2000 (or at least only use the mic preamp
	feature) and look to reduce the Line-In input
	gain, and reduce the pre-amp output signal
	strength, using factory stock settings, until
	you find a level that does not over drive the
	rig.  THEN you can work in any other features
	you like, once you know the optimal signal
	strength that produces clear transmit audio.

	I also suspect it would be a lot easier to
	verify the rig is OK by using a regular,
	plain Jane hand held microphone connected to
	the front panel mic input, than to use the B1
	and the preamp on the processor unit.  You can
	work back form there once you achieve clean
	audio output from a simple setup.

	Just MY take...