[TenTec] ORION ll

Sat Jun 22 00:20:41 EDT 2013

I basically agree with James, "what's wide?".  How was it determined that it
was wide?  If the TX BW is 2800 Hz and the TX Low End Roll-off is 150 Hz
then the transmitted bandwidth is 2650 Hz.  In general that is will within
the technical acceptable standards for SSB bandwidth.

Could it be that the Orion II audio along with the B-1 mike and the VX-2000
is really very clean and thus "sounds" wide?  Could be.  Many radios on the
bands today along with the hosts of mikes and applications being used do not
have really clean audio.  One thing I've enjoyed about Tentec radios, they
have great audio, both on receive and transmit.

Things that make audio sound wide could be excessive ALC action meaning the
MIC audio level is too high and the ALC is very active.  Another thing is a
bit of RF getting into the audio that causes a splatter sounding audio while
in actuality the transmitted bandwidth is not wider than the definition of
the filter system, low end and TX BW settings.

Do head for the manual and the adjustments for the TX Low frequency roll-off
and the TX SSB BW values.  To keep things simple, I would start with a mike
connected direct to the MIC input and not use anything else until one is
satisfied all is working correctly.  Then add in the AUX equipment and
observe the results.

73
Bob, K4TAX