[TenTec] Amplifier Question

Richards jrichards at k8jhr.com
Wed Jun 26 01:38:45 EDT 2013

THANK YOU ALL for the quick and helpful answers
about tuning my amp.  The best bit is I am doing
the right thing.

I have a matchbox/tuner with a fairly reliable SWR/WATT meter
beyond the amp, and I watch that power meter, along with the PEAL Power
meter on the amp,  for power indication, while watching the Ib Grid
Meter on on the left side of the amp.

I sometimes get the notion to install a separate watt meter  (I built
the Ten Tec 1225 SWR/WATT meter a couple of months back) but I would
prefer to keep things simple - I figure every patch cable, connector,
and gadget in line is a power and impedance "speed bump" and would
prefer to keep it simple.  But the user manual was a tad skimpy on
explaining how and when to use those four little meter settings.

Now supposing I changed my mind and DID want a power meter in line...
are there any suggestions on what to use?  I have a Daiwa 101L and the
TT 1225 kit, but maybe there is a better one.

So... is it worth it, and why?  What would it tell me that I cannot
already determine from the amp and tuner meters?  I see so many of them
in other guys' stations, I suppose there must be more to it than the
thrill of seeing the needle move or the LEDs light up!     ;-)

THANKS, AGAIN.