[TenTec] Orion 2 situation

Darrell Bellerive drbellerive.va7to at gmail.com
Sun Jun 30 21:30:35 EDT 2013

I think that Ten-Tec could carve out a new niche in the market by open
sourcing their firmware. There is a thread going already on this, so I
will not duplicate that discussion, but rather poke at this idea another
way.

I had an Elecraft K2 for years, and it was a great radio, but there were
a few features that had been requested that would have made it better,
but as Mike noted, firmware development stopped when the K3 was introduced.

Elecraft maintains the firmware contains algorithms that are trade
secrets, and does not want to divulge them. I have a hard time believing
that letting everyone know their antenna tuner code would put them out
of business. But, that is their decision, and that is fine.

Ten-Tec could differentiate themselves by going to an open source
firmware paradigm. Continue to build the great hardware we have become
accustomed to and include only basic firmware. And leave out the
advanced routines they need to keep secret for the military stuff they
build.

Having a basic factory firmware also solves the support issues. If it
works with the factory firmware, the hardware is good. No need to have
warranty claims due to open source community firmware.

Community developed open source firmware offers fixes and continued
development even long after the hardware is discontinued, not to mention
features not available in the factory firmware. How many people opted
for Carl Moreschi's (N4PY) alternate firmware chip (V.9) for the Omni V?
Or Jack Giehl's chip for the Paragon?

With an open firmware paradigm, I would bet that soon there would be a
number of different development paths of firmware. Wouldn't it be great
to pick and choose which routines you have in your radio. One developers
noise reduction routines, another's ALC algorithms, etc.

Ten-Tec has ventured into these waters with the Rebel. I can't help but
wonder if this is a test. How many people will write code? How many
people will use this code? How will this community developed firmware
affect warranty claims and the service department?

I suspect if community code for the Rebel is a success, we will see this
paradigm in other Ten-Tec models. So those of us who would like to see
open source firmware, let's get on the Rebel bandwagon. Not only that we
all need yet another cute QRP rig, but to show Ten-Tec that open source
is an important issue for us.

Let those who can write code do so, and the rest can be beta testers, or
just use the community developed code.

One of the things I find fascinating is the number of people on the
Rebel Yahoo! group showing interest in learning to write code. Even new
coders will be able to quickly change what a button does, or what an LED
indicates. There is no telling what creative talents will produce!

Ten-Tec could take a big step against obsolesce by going the open source
firmware route. Even when the hardware is discontinued, the firmware
development can continue on without expense to Ten-Tec. The Orion was
introduced ten years ago. I can't help but wonder what the Orion
firmware would look like if it had been open sourced from the start. And
what it would look like ten years from now. Don't get me wrong, I think
John Henry is doing an outstanding job. But he is only one person, and a
person with a lot of work in front of him.

Open source firmware doesn't solve the unobtainuim parts problems, and
those will be with us going forward, but it does solve the lack of
firmware fixes and new feature development. A win-win for Ten-Tec and
their customers as I see it.

73, Darrell VA7TO

Darrell Bellerive