[TenTec] O.T. High-PWR Balanced Matchboxes

Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP Rick at DJ0IP.de
Wed Mar 6 02:26:53 EST 2013

Hi Mike

Yes, Rick's Balanced Balanced Antenna tuner has been around for almost 25
years.

Trouble is, it's a pretty hefty home-brew project.

I think most people are over-challenged building something that has to
mechanically synchronize two roller inductors and switch capacitors back and
forth across them.

I do not want to get into home-brew solutions at all.

That is a can of worms I don't wish to open.

I think people with enough knowledge to home brew something like Rick's
matchbox, don't need my advice.

They probably know more than I do. (hi)

Exception:

I did put up the home-brew S-match because it is a totally EASY project.

It has one coil, one capacitor, one transformer on a big toroid (easy to
wind), and there is no switching.

Almost anyone can build one of these.

I'm going to find a good used Annecke Asymmetrical tuner (they are much
easier to find than the Symmetrical Koppler).  The asymmetrical tuners are
T-Networks.  I will remove one capacitor, and build the toroid transformer.
With that, the S-match is 95% complete.  I just have to modify the wiring.
By doing it that way, all of the mechanical construction is already done,
and I have a nice roller inductor with turns counter.  Then I will run a
bunch of tests comparing this to other matchboxes on an openwire-fed dipole,
while measuring the RF-Current into each leg of the feedline.  This will
give me an indication of how effective the S-match is.  I have great
expectations, but usually in those cases, I am disappointed in the end.
Keep your fingers crossed.

I have gotten a few good suggestions since yesterday.

Already added a couple to my web site.

One more to add.

Gotta do some real work today.

I spent too much time on my web site and have fallen behind in the work I
get paid to do.

73

Rick, DJ0IP