[TenTec] FW: Corsair vs Corsair II

Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP Rick at DJ0IP.de
Wed Mar 13 04:42:20 EDT 2013

PLEASE DISREGARD MY PREVIOUS POST, WHERE I THOUGHT A BROADBAND TERMINATION
WAS NOT NECESSARY.

Guys, in my previous post on this topic, I WAS WRONG. :-(
(sri)

Jerry was kind enough to point that out to me off-line, and showed me where
I could read more... where I discovered that my 1970's state of the art
mindset on this topic is well behind the power curve.

Looks like this old dog needs to go back to school and learn some new tricks
about RX technology.
I will switch into "READ-ONLY" mode for the rest of this thread.

JERRY'S RESPONSE TO ME IS BELOW...

THANK YOU JERRY!

73
Rick, DJ0IP

-----Original Message-----
From: Jerry Haigwood [mailto:jerry at w5jh.net]
Sent: Wednesday, March 13, 2013 3:33 AM
To: 'Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP'
Subject: RE: [TenTec] Corsair vs Corsair II

Hi Rick,
    If you have ever looked at the output of diode ring mixer using a
spectrum analyzer, I doubt if you would have made the statement, "So as I
see it, it is not so important to have "broadband termination" as it is to
have "TWO specific terminations", one for the desired signal and one for the
unwanted signal."  There are many signals present at the output of a diode
ring mixer - not just two.  All of these signals need to be terminated
properly.  That is why diplexers are broadband.  Take a look at VE7BPO's
page, especially figure 9:
<http://www.qrp.pops.net/sbl1.asp>
Todd gives a pretty good description of what the diode ring mixer does and
how it does it.  He gives you a spectrum analyzer view of the output of a
diode ring mixer (figure 9).  Todd also discusses diplexers here:
<http://www.qrp.pops.net/dip2.asp>
I prefer the Bridge-Tee diplexer designed by Joe Reisert, W1JR.  It is easy
to build, broadband, and works very well at terminating a diode ring mixer.
Jerry W5JH