[TenTec] Low headphone audio level

Jim Brown k9yc at audiosystemsgroup.com
Wed Mar 13 15:15:15 EDT 2013

On 3/13/2013 8:27 AM, Paul K. wrote:
> Jim,
> Thank you.  You are the first one to post an explanation about the low
> level audioon my Orion I.  I haven't seen many excellent postings like
> yours since Dr. Jerry Johnson left the reflector.

Thanks.

> Now I am confused. Are you saying the series resistor on each leg of
> the 2 channel audio should not be there?  There have been several
> suggestions to cut the valuein half.  Are those recommendations
> reasonable?

Since I haven't followed this thread from the beginning, I don't know
the original question, and I'm not sure what resistor you're talking
about, nor do I know its value in ohms. Which is part of why I went into
such detail with my response. :)

What I'm saying is that the output impedance of a power amplifier, even
a small one, is quite low, usually much less than one ohm, but that
circuit designers add some resistance in series with the output to
protect the output chip from being shorted when someone plugs something
into the jack. That resistor simply makes sure that the chip doesn't try
to drive a short circuit.

In general, it's a bad idea to try to second-guess a good circuit
designer unless you KNOW that what's there is wrong (the Pin One Problem
is an example), and that what you want to change won't cause problems
you either haven't considered or don't know enough about the circuit to
be able to predict.

Bottom line -- if you can't crank the audio gain up enough that your
headphones aren't loud enough, or it's simply a matter of matching
loudness between speaker and headphones, I'd try different headphones
before I would modify the rig.Most good headphones (Sony MDR7506, Yamaha
CM500, and equivalent Sennheiser or AKG) are in the range of 200 ohms
and have enough voltage sensitivity that they get plenty loud when
plugged into any decent ham rig. The only reason we should need more
than that is if we have severe hearing loss.

73, Jim K9YC