[TenTec] Omni VII Speech Processor Question

Richards jruing at ameritech.net
Fri Mar 15 03:54:22 EDT 2013

Interesting -

	Stan at TenTec HQ says the Omni VII built-in
	speech compressor uses "AF Based"  compression.

And... yet...

Page 31 of my owner's manual states:

	"The speech processor used in the Omni VII is a
	DSP generated RF compressor.  ... RF Compression
	raises the average output power... with a digitally
	generated RF speech processor... we have the
	advantage of calculating the RF envelope before
	modulation is performed..."

Page 38 Specifications says:

	"Speech Processor:  RF compression,  0-9 adjustment."

So... perhaps one might understand how I came to wonder about this.
The phrases,   "DSP generated RF compression"  and  "RF compression"  do
not exactly sound like  "AF compression"   to me.

;-)

Parenthetically... I paid my dues and purchased the Model 715 when it
first came out.  I was just wondering if it was redundant, if the Omni
VII function was, in fact, RF-based at it sounded (to me, anyway) in the
owner's manual.

THANKS AND HAPPY TRAILS.