[TenTec] Omni VII Speech Processor Question

Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP Rick at DJ0IP.de
Sat Mar 16 03:34:47 EDT 2013

For clarity on this point, James is referring to an email I sent him
off-line comparing AF and RF compression, NOT my post earlier to the group,
which Carl corrected.

Cheers
Rick, DJ0IP

-----Original Message-----
From: TenTec [mailto:tentec-bounces at contesting.com] On Behalf Of Richards
Sent: Saturday, March 16, 2013 2:26 AM
To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Omni VII Speech Processor Question

HOLD THE PHONE, GUYS.... IT IS AN RF-BASED COMPRESSOR AFTER ALL!

	HERE IS WHAT STAN BROCK SENT TODAY, which
	appears to have some input form the infamous
	John Henry... I love to see tag-team
	problem- solving!

Based on this explanation, and what Rick, DJ0IP says, I will keep my Model
715, notwithstanding the Omni VII has an RF-based compressor after
all.   Sometimes a dedicated device can do better than another device
which must handle multiple duties and functions.

	Rick usually has good advice... even if I don't
	move on it right away ...   ;-)

Thanks for the input !

On 3/15/2013 8:21 AM, Stan Brock wrote:> James,  >  >  > Sorry, I went back
into the code and we indeed have it in the RF  > processing section in the
DSP, Very sorry for the incorrect answer. I  > need to verify things before
I answer.
 > The 712 itself does do a better job because it is taking the af of the  >
voice, converting it to rf, etc back to af, without the other rf  >
processing done inside the dsp, so, it is more effective. Most find the  >
internals work about as good. But some of the compression is lost in the  >
DSP where it is not lost in the 712.