[TenTec] Computer Headset Secured -- Now What?

Greg S oldlongbeard at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 28 09:12:36 EDT 2013

Having just performed surgery on one of the aforementioned "cheapie" PC headsets, I offer the following from my recent experience.

I would suggest making/buying  the adapter box, and NOT doing what I did, which was cut off the 1/8" plugs, and solder on a new 1/4" headphone jack, and solder the wires from the mic directly to an 8 pin mic plug.  The wires inside these cords are "whimpy" and not insulated from each other by any rubber or plastic insulation. They are instead, like micro-fine motor winding wires, with a thin, colored, "varnish" that insulates them from each other. You will need to use heat and liquid rosin (at least I did) to prepare them to take solder, and then you must be sure you don't have any of the wrong color in with each other. They are twisted around each other, too, which helps them be resistant to carrying RF, but makes this job more difficult. Also learned that even though the 1/8" PC plug for the microphone has TRS, it only has 2 wires.... I think the T&R are tied together inside the lug, and the Shield is separate.

 All this being said, it works well.

And, to reiterate, I would make an adapter box to avoid the above, were I to do it again.

My 2 cents, and maybe worth less.

73-
Greg Schippers, KC8HXO