[TenTec] 160 meters, ten ted 238 tuner, part two

Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP Rick at DJ0IP.de
Fri Nov 1 02:09:23 EDT 2013

OK, then we were on different pages. SRI
(thought it was strange that you would ask that - hi)

I was talking about fixing a problem where the antenna tuner won't find a
match on one band.
I suggested trying a 4:1 balun.
If I have no match at all, then find one with a different balun, even with a
bit less CM impedance, it's still better than it was before.  ;-)

BTW, if you are running low power, there is still going to be enough CM
impedance.
It might be a problem at higher power levels.

73
Rick, DJ0IP

-----Original Message-----
From: TenTec [mailto:tentec-bounces at contesting.com] On Behalf Of Steve Hunt
Sent: Thursday, October 31, 2013 11:30 PM
To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment
Subject: Re: [TenTec] 160 meters, ten ted 238 tuner, part two

Rick,

I was talking about the CM impedance rather than the Differential-Mode
impedance. If you switch in parallel with each other the two 1:1 chokes
which form the 4:1 Guanella balun, you have a 1:1 with only half the CM
impedance of a single choke. It seems a shame to throw away that hard-earned
CM impedance :)

73,
Steve G3TXQ