[TenTec] 160 M antenna

Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP Rick at DJ0IP.de
Sat Nov 9 09:17:26 EST 2013

Steve,

The merits of that design are apparent, but how do you tune it?
Seems it would be awfully difficult to adjust top-hat lengths when they are
connected together.

Sevick did something like that using a real sun umbrella, but he had it
split in the middle and inserted a coil.  He could tune by adjusting the
coil.

73
Rick, DJ0IP

-----Original Message-----
From: TenTec [mailto:tentec-bounces at contesting.com] On Behalf Of Steve Hunt
Sent: Saturday, November 09, 2013 12:29 PM
To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment
Subject: Re: [TenTec] 160 M antenna

Rick,

The original article was in Radio Communication November 1986. The
mechanical tuning mechanism was not for the faint-hearted :) but if you
already have a spare screwdriver antenna it's a good option.

The same RSGB book that had Tim's article also had mine on a 40ft 160m
vertical with capacity hat loading. I used 6 wires (part of the guys) with
"perimeter" wires - they make a big difference to the capacity and don't
introduce opposing current vectors. The article includes a plot of how the
feedpoint resistance changed as I added radials.

Sketch of the antenna here:
http://www.karinya.net/g3txq/temp/160m_vertical.png

73,
Steve G3TXQ