[TenTec] Ten Tec 238 coupler and 160 meters

Steve Hunt steve at karinya.net
Sat Nov 9 17:45:07 EST 2013

Correct!

In the example I gave, had the 10:1 SWR been caused by a 5 Ohm load
rather than a 500 Ohm load, the current would have been a maximum at the
load (3.16A) and the loss/unit length at that point would have been even
higher than the simple loss calculators predict - the reverse of the
high impedance case.

Only when the line is long enough to encompass a large proportion of one
cycle of the SWR pattern does it begin to "average out".

For loss calculations on electrically short lengths of mismatched line,
you can't rely on any calculator that takes only SWR as input.

Steve G3TXQ